Your Spring/Summer Plumbing Checklist
In Hamilton and the rest of southwestern Ontario, spring/summer is often the time when you’ll notice your plumbing was damaged during the winter. Run through this checklist to make sure your home is ready for the spring/summer.
• Inspect your outdoor plumbing. Turn on the outdoor water valves and make sure the taps and sprinkler system are working correctly. If you protected you outdoor plumbing with insulating covers in the fall, remove them. Check your hose to make sure there aren’t any holes or cracks.
• Check any drains that aren’t used frequently. Pour some water down the drains to make sure they aren’t clogged.
• Make sure your sump pump is working. Pour a bucket of water into your sump pit. If this doesn’t trigger the pump, have it inspected by a professional.
• Make sure your water heater is in good condition. If you see any rust on your water heater, or if it’s older than 10 years old, consider changing it for a newer, more energy efficient model. Take the time to drain and flush the tank to get rid of any sediment that’s settled at the bottom.
• Inspect the water supply hoses on your appliances. The supply hoses on your washing machine, dishwasher or ice maker shouldn’t be leaking or bulging. If they are, or they’re over ten years old, replace them with new ones.
• Check for unseen leaks. Do this by writing down your water meter’s reading before going to bed and then checking it in the morning before using water. Any discrepancy could indicate there’s a hidden leak somewhere in your plumbing.
• Check your toilets. If you have to jiggle the handle to flush or if the toilet is running constantly, you may need to replace a damaged part. Check for a leak by putting a few drops of food colouring in the tank. If you see colour in the bowl an hour later, it could mean there’s a leak in your toilet.
• Remove mineral deposits. Remove taps, shower heads and the sprayer arm in your dishwasher and soak them in vinegar to get rid of calcium and mineral buildup.
• Have a plumbing inspection done. A plumber will be able to spot potential problems you may not know to look for.
Professional Plumbers in Hamilton
Winter can take its toll on your plumbing system. If you discover a problem or want to schedule an inspection, trust A Rescue Rooter. With five locations across southwestern Ontario, we’re ready to work on plumbing issues of any size. Call us today to schedule an appointment.