Clogged sink? Do this to get things flowing again…
Not every clogged sink is the same. While some require the assistance of plumbers to get things back on track in your Oakville or Burlington residence, others can be resolved by taking matters into your own hands. Here are some things you can try to get that get that stubborn sink unclogged.
Unsheathe your plunger
A plunger can effectively battle against debris that's plugging a pipe and aid you in your quest to release the clog. Follow these steps to ensure you're plunging effectively.
- Begin by covering the base of the sink with several inches of water.
- If it's a dual sink, use a rag to plug up the other drain.
- Place the lip of the plunger securely over the blocked drain.
- Rapidly push up and down on the plunger about a dozen times then lift it away entirely.
- Repeat the process three or four times.
If the fight's been won, you'll quickly realize it by the quick scurrying away of the water down the drain. You can further verify by turning on the tap and seeing if the water escapes smoothly or is still at a standstill. If the clog lives on, you'll need to switch tactics.
Use an ecofriendly elixir
Chemical drain cleaners are the worst. Not only are they highly toxic and hazardous for our water systems, but they can also corrode pipes and thereby create a far greater problem than the one they solved. Instead, try a simple solution made from ingredients you likely have in your pantry. Simply follow these steps.
- Start by tossing a full kettle or pot of boiling water in the sink. Sometimes this in itself can make the difference. If not, wait for the water to slide down the drain.
- Next, measure out a half-cup of baking soda and throw it down the drain, and then a cup of vinegar and a cup of very hot water on top of the baking soda. The ingredients will mix and create a chemical reaction that froths and bubbles.
- After ten minutes, toss down another pot full of boiling water.
A Rescue Rooter to the rescue
If neither the plunger nor the elixir did the trick, it's time to bring in the pros. Our plumbers in Oakville, Burlington and elsewhere in Southern Ontario are equipped with the tech, the tools and the know-how to clear that clog once and for all. We're available 24/ 7 for all emergencies and never charge extra for working evenings or weekends. Our CCTV video inspection guarantees we'll get to the bottom of the problem quickly. Call us today to unclog that drain or for help with any of your other plumbing needs.